We’re still working our way through a big pile of zucchini and squash here at the Gastrono-kitchen. Gastronomike and I have been talking lately about how we just don’t seem to have a store of zucchini recipes to draw on, which is odd, because everyone with a garden grows, and is innundated with, zucchini and summer squash. So why is it that we don’t seem to have a big cultural cache of zucchini and summer squash recipes?
Anyway, tonight’s zucchini dish is total comfort food, and was pretty delicious. Served alongside grilled chicken and steamed yellow wax beans.
Cheesy Zucchini and Squash Casserole
Ingredients (from allrecipes.com)
- 4 slices bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups cubed zucchini and squash
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place bread cubes in a medium bowl and pour melted butter over the bread. Add the zucchini, onion, garlic salt and egg; mix well. Transfer the mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish and top with the cheese.
3. Bake, covered, in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Then uncover the dish and bake for another 30 minutes.